The MCDA has now blossomed into the MCDAS- We define our mission statement annually - officially - once a year. The MCDAS has been an official body for almost a decade. The main purpose of the MCDAS is to 'build community'. To this end, it identifies, funds, and implements projects designed to beautify, to promote, and to enhance the community, making Mortlach and rural area an attractive place to live and to own businesses. Approval from the Village Council is made before making planned improvements. These projects do not use tax dollars but are developed through fundraising, volunteering, and collaborating with other local groups and community members.
Now the MCDAS is pleased to include the vital agricultural aspect of our community in the focus, pooling resources and bringing the village and the rural together more consciously - again. Please see the 1926 Mortlach Agricultural Society poster !! (See the original at our museum)
The MCDAS meets the 2nd Thursday of the month at 7:30 pm at the Mortlach Memorial Hall. New members are always welcome.
MCDAS Community Projects
- Avenue of Trees - To beautify our main access to the Trans Canada highway a long corridor or trees and shrubbery was planted and is now well established.
- Village Square - Phase I, our Village Square, was completed in 2003. With the help of public donations and volunteer labour,
- Mortlach now has a beautiful corner park, the site of our annual Christmas tree lighting.
- Street Banners - The MCDAS believes that it is important to involve all ages in our beautifcation. In the year 2005, we had the
- Grade 7 and 8 class from our local school paint street banners with a Saskatchewan Centennial theme.
- 2007 - the banners were created by the businesses to showcase their business.
- Annual Mortlach Saskatoon Berry Festival - first Saturday in July
- Sidewalks - In the summer of 2005, the MCDAS initiated a project which will see new interlock brick sidewalks down both sides of the business section of Rose Street. This Phase II project, on the east side of Rose Street, has been completed with curbing and interlocking brick in place.
- 2007 - curbing and interlocking brick was installed on the west side of Rose Street around and south of the new library/post office building.
- Hall Roof - The Community Hall Roof was repaired and metal roofing was installed during the spring of 2007 with very generous support from local citizens and organizations; and a $10,000.00 donation from Conexus.
- Historical Plaques - We have initiated a marking of Mortlach's Heritage sites to honour our early pioneers and businesses. This is an ongoing program as funding allows. Since 2006, twenty historical plaques have been installed to increase the cultural and history awareness of the residents of Mortlach and area. Seven plaques were sponsored by the Community Initiatives Fund.
MCDAS Annual Projects
Some of the MCDAS annual projects include:
- Spring and Fall Community Garage Sales, Craft Sale, and Sparkle Up Mortlach (with a silent auction).
Mortlach Saskatoon Berry Festival - July 8th 2017.
- MCDAS co-sponsors the Mortlach Fall Fair which is held the last Friday in September at the Mortlach School.
As a part of this Community, we have all benefited! This includes both urban and rural residents, some of whom have moved elsewhere. We have raised families here, received an education here, and made a livelihood from the land. This appeal for funds comes as an opportunity for giving thanks and recognizing our roots. More importantly, it is an investment in Mortlach Community's future!
Thank you for your support.
Mortlach Community Development Association
Mortlach, Saskatchewan S0H 3E0
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org